New! CHIFA Webinar: Vaccination and Child Rights, 7th October 2016, 13.00 GMT
Organised by the CHIFA Steering Group in association with the International Society for Social Pediatrics and Child Health (ISSOP)
See below for details on how to connect to the webinar. We thank the Facultad Latinoamericana de Ciencias Sociales (FLACSO), Argentina, for technical hosting.
Speakers: Gonca Yilmaz, Rita Nathawad
Facilitator: Tony Waterston
Duration: 45 mins (talk 30 mins, discussion 15 mins)
Theme: The webinar will cover the application of the UN Convention to children vaccination. Anti-vaccine movement focuses on the decision of parents not to vaccinate their children. This decision can harm other children and increase the risks of outbreaks. In this webinar, we will address the child rights approach to protect children's health.
Gonca Yilmaz is a member of the executive committee of the European Society for Social Paediatrics and Child Health. She is a social paediatrician in a training hospital in Ankara, Turkey, and has a postgraduate degree in social paediatrics. Her interests include child rights, child abuse and neglect management, well child baby care, and infant nutrition.
Rita Nathawad is a paediatrician in the Division of Community and Societal Pediatrics at the University of Florida, College of Medicine in Jacksonville, Florida, United States. She is board certified in both paediatrics and in paediatric infectious disease. She is also in the final year of a Master’s Program in Global Health Policy through the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. Her research interests include child rights, health care transition and youth participation in vaccine decision making. Nathawad is a paediatric infectious disease specialist in Jacksonville, Florida and is affiliated with Shands Jacksonville Medical Center. She received her medical degree from St. George's University School of Medicine and has been in practice between 11-20 years. She is one of 7 doctors at Shands Jacksonville Medical Center who specialize in Paediatric Infectious Disease.
Tony Waterston is a retired consultant paediatrician who worked mainly in the community in Newcastle upon Tyne, UK. He spent 6 years working in Zambia and Zimbabwe and currently directs the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health Diploma in Palestinian Child Health teaching programme in the occupied Palestinian territories. He is an Editor of the Journal of Tropical Pediatrics and is on the Executive Committee of the International Society for Social Pediatrics. His academic interests are child poverty, advocacy for child health and children’s rights.
User Instructions for Webinar Access (provided by FLACSO Argentina:
What do I need?
- Good network connectivity
- A computer, notebook, netbook, tablet or any mobile device
- Headset with microphone
- Camera (not absolutely necessary)
- You will need very good network connectivity, at least 3 MB bandwidth
- We recommend wired internet connection instead of WIFI
- We recommend not using any other software during the videoconference
(FLACSO VIRTUAL is not accountable for difficulties in webinar access if wired connectivity is not available)
b) Required equipment:
- A computer (PC, netbook, notebook, tablet, cellphone, or other devices)
- A headset with microphone
- A working version of Adobe Flash Player
c) App for cellphone:
- If using an iPad or iPhone, you can download the AdobeConnect app here
- If using a cellphone with Android OS, the app can be downloaded here
- Please check microphone volume level on computer
- Check speaker volume level on computer
- Check volume on headset
How to access the meeting
1) Access meeting:
- If it's the first time you access a meeting, Adobe will ask you to download and install the Add-in; click to download and install (To access download links go here
- Open the following window in browser: https://flacso.adobeconnect.com/chifa
- Choose "Entrar como invitado"
- Write first and last name in the "Nombre" field
- We suggest you access the meeting 15 minutes before the webinar to adjust any last minute details
2) Audio test
- Check your headset and microphone connection and volume
- Select the "Reunion">"Asistente para configuracion de audio" option at the top left part of the screen
- Follow the steps to ensure good audio configuration and press "Siguiente" when finished.