Since 2013, the Global Disaster Preparedness Center (GDPC) has offered the Universal App Program, working with Red Cross and Red Crescent (RC/RC) national societies to develop localized first aid and hazards apps. Created in collaboration with the Red Cross Global First Aid Reference Center, First Aid app content is licensed by the British Red Cross and based on the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) First Aid Guidelines. National societies are able to make content changes to align with local guidelines and practices, giving users instant access to easy-to-understand information on how to identify and respond to more than 20 common first aid scenarios, such as bleeding, heart attacks, choking and burns. The First Aid app is available on iOS and Android platforms, has customized content for over 50 Red Cross and Red Crescent national societies and well as three regional groupings of countries, and has been translated into 37 languages.
Features of the First Aid App Include:
- Learn, Prepare and Emergency First Aid sections focusing on everyday first aid scenarios
- Step-by-step instructions?including videos and illustratioons?on how to respond to each condition
- Preloaded content that gives instant access to all safety information at any time
- Tests, quizzes and badges that users can share on social media, and
- Built-in resource mobilization features allowing national societies receive donations and highlight partnerships.
- Capability to receive alerts via push notification and to contact local emergency services by phone
You can locate the app for download by using one of the following links: 3cu.be/shareifrca for Android users and 3cu.be/shareifrci for iOS users.
Director, Global Disaster Preparedness Center
HIFA profile: Omar Abou-Samra is a Senior Technical Advisor, Global Disaster Preparedness Center at American Red Cross. http://preparecenter.org/ Email: Omar.Abou-Samra AT redcross.org