In Zimbabwe the school curriculum has been recently changed to include appropriate sexual education at an early age. In my opinion this approach has more advantages and assists in other areas of life as well. It is critical to catch them young. Some advantages may include:
1. Empowering children to quickly identify instances of sexual abuse.
2. Assisting in navigation of information overload from the Internet and social media.
3. A school environment tends to take away cultural barriers that may hinder sexual education.
4. Enpowering the children to make right decisions as they grow.
5. Creation of openness among children as peers to discuss issues of sexual health.
However any interventions such as these may come with disadvantages but in my opinion we have more to gain from catching them young.
HIFA profile: Venus Mushininga is a pharmacist at the Cancer Centre Pharmacy in Zimbabwe. Professional interests: Oncology, Dissemination of information through to Health Professionals and the public, Research. She is co-coordinator of the HIFA working group on information for Prescribers and Users of Medicines.
Email: vmushininga AT gmail.com